The Portuguese Organization for Social Services and Opportunities (POSSO) is a non-profit charitable corporation dedicated to the enrichment of the total community by improving the quality of life, community involvement, and opportunities of its Portuguese-speaking population.
In pursuit of this mission, the organization acts as a bridge to the greater community, providing social, recreational, cultural and educational activities as well as mobilizing support for other community programs that protect and enhance the human potential. We hear the concerns and needs that individuals bring to us, and we assist in addressing the appropriate public or private entity in search of equitable resolution. In this way, POSSO has been instrumental in creating resources where none existed before.
In addition to the specific services and programs listed herein, POSSO makes every effort to insure the participation of the low-income members of our community in the special benefits, programs, and activities to which they are entitled, but which they can only utilize with our special assistance. This includes, for instance, assisting individuals to obtain transit identification cards and using public transportation, filing for special tax benefits, applying for energy assistance and conservation benefits, among others.
Workshops are also offered regularly featuring guest speakers who are experts on a particular topic of interest to our target community. Topics range from housing and employment to health and hobbies.
POSSO helps the Portuguese-speaking community to make itself known and participate to the fullest extent possible in the mainstream of American life. This is achieved in ways such as sponsoring cultural programs and expositions, disseminating written information and holding voter registration drives.
POSSO believes that all members of the community
- deserve the opportunity to lead independent lives with dignity and self-esteem.
- have experience, skills and talents to share with their community and should have the opportunity to do so.
- are capable of continued growth and development.
- have the right to make choices and be part of decision-making processes.
- have the right of access to all benefits and resources available to all members of the greater community.
POSSO believes that the community
- has a responsibility to insure that a comprehensive range of activities and services is available to its members.
- has a wealth of resources that must be called upon to serve its members.
- Maintain and operate a multi-purpose community center to provide activities and services that contribute to the attainment of POSSO’s mission.
- Assist Portuguese-speaking members of the community to overcome a variety of social barriers in accessing and utilizing the health and human services available to everyone.
- Enrich the lives of Portuguese-speaking seniors by providing activities that relieve isolation, develop new interests and skills, promote self-esteem, camaraderie and integration into the greater community.
- Provide activities that preserve the heritage and traditions of the Portuguese people, promote cultural understanding, and enhance family life.
- Develop resources, leadership, and support for POSSO’s mission.